UC Clermont

Physical Therapist Assistant FAQs

FAQs Page

I currently have or will have a bachelor’s degree within the next year.  Am I still able to apply to this program? 

  • Yes, you are able to apply to the program. You may need some guidance to determine if previous coursework will transfer to the university as well as to determine which classes may still be required prior to the technical year. It is highly recommended that you attend a PTA Application Information Session as faculty walk you through the process of the selective admission process. 
  • Please note that financial aid may be declined if you already have a bachelor’s degree and are now seeking an associate’s degree. Students can submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to restore their aid eligibility.  Appeals are reviewed individually and are decided on a case-by-case basis.  They are not automatically approved. https://financialaid.uc.edu/eligibility/academicprogress/progressappeals.html


Only the first two semesters. If you are accepted full time this compressed and accelerated pace allows for only about 8-10 hours per week of outside work commitment. This is a M-F, day-time program with online support.

In regards to your bachelor's degree, one of the new requirements to qualify for the selective admissions is a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. No higher points will be awarded for higher GPA's. If you apply with less than a 3.0 by end of Fall term in the year that you intend to apply, 0/15 points will be applied to your overall score.

The average GPA's over the years have been in the 3.7 - 3.8 range for sciences, and 3.4 - 3.7 for overall weighted GPA. (This is considering your BA work, if you use any courses for transfer credit.)

See PTA Outcomes.  

Since I have a bachelor's degree, do I need to take the prerequisite courses for this program or will my courses count?

Many of the general courses like Intro. To Psych, College Algebra or Stats I, Humanities/Fine Arts, English Composition and Lit, may all be transferred in if approved at UC Uptown campus. You will need at least a "C" for these courses from an accredited college or university.

The following courses will also need to be taken within the past 6 years, again with at least a "B" grade obtained: (We may allow up to 7 years if taken at a KY college or university). You may take either of them up to a limit of two attempts each to attain a "€œB"€.

  • Anatomy and Physiology I and II (either combined or separately)
  • Introduction to Chemistry (Chem. 1020 or higher)
You will also need (with a minimum of a "C" grade in each course):
  • Intro to PT and PT Assisting & Ethics
  • ALH 1005 Health Care Edge or its equivalent with approval from the allied health faculty.

I've taken the GRE for PT school-does this replace the need and/or score for the ATI-TEAS aptitude survey?

No, we cannot equivocate the GRE with the TEAS. You are allowed one attempt and score submission per each application cycle that you commit to; if the TEAS is taken at another college or center, please send the unaltered scores to the PTA Program Coordinator Director before the posted January December deadline. This is now the most heavily weighted component of the application process. Study guides may be found on reserve at the Clermont College Library, or you may purchase the materials and practice exams at the ATI Testing web site. https://www.atitesting.com/home.aspx

Other suggestions: consult the online program "Transferology" to see if your courses match our general courses. See the Curriculum Guide on our webpage for more details about the timing of the courses. Please note that a student cannot apply for the selective admissions unless he or she has completed all Fall or First semester courses with at least a 3.0 GPA, "B" level grades in the two science courses, and at least "C"'s in the other courses.

For most of the general education courses, you are able to take these online. It is highly recommended that science courses be taken in-person, if possible. 

The PTA1001 Intro to PT Assisting & Ethics is a synchronous course and may be offered in-person or remotely. 

Once in the technical (2nd) year of the program, those courses are all in-person and a student is on campus full time through those three semesters.

Yes, in order to practice as a physical therapist assistant, a person needs to have graduated from an accredited program and sit for the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE). Upon receiving a passing score, a student may apply for a license in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.