English Placement Essay
*Assignments available starting Oct. 1.
The English Placement Test is designed to measure your reading and writing skills to determine the best beginning English course for you where you will experience academic success. The English Placement Test is not an objective test. It consists of four steps:
- Reading the honor code.
- Reading an assigned article.
- Completing the writing assignments:
- Writing a one-paragraph summary of the assigned article.
- Writing a multi-paragraph essay responding to the arguments in the assigned article.
- Writing a reflective paragraph about the strengths and weakness in your writing.
- Submitting/uploading the English placement test: summary, essay, reflection.
Your English placement test will be evaluated on your ability to:
- Follow directions
- Understand and summarize the article
- Express your ideas clearly and appropriately for your audience
- Demonstrate an understanding of paragraph and essay structure
- Support your ideas with specific examples and details
- Use standard formal English
Students place into one of four English courses:
- ENGL 1001 English Composition
- ENGL 1000 Introduction to English Composition
- ENGL 0099 Prepatory Composition
- ENGL 0097 Introduction to Academic Literacies
Peters-Jones Building, Room 103
Phone: (513) 732-5219