UC Clermont's associate degree in surgical technology will challenge you physically, intellectually and emotionally in ways you cannot yet imagine. This program is about more than classroom learning and memorization with an emphasis on the ability to excel at hands-on skills and work effectively under pressure. It is about training your body and your mind, and about learning the discipline needed to become a highly-skilled member of a professional surgical team. The program partners with hospitals all over the Cincinnati area to combine classroom and clinical experiences to best prepare a student for a life-long career in the operating room. Instructors for the program continue to work in the field to bring the most current trends to the classroom while preparing students for the clinical rotations and a future career.
Our mission is to teach our students to function as integral members of professional surgical teams that provide the best patient care possible.
- surgical technologists, who provide technical care of patients during surgery, are integral members of health care teams.
- surgical technologists must treat patients with dignity while remaining aware of patients' individual physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
- while the needs of patients always come first, surgical technologists must also learn to take care of themselves so that they always bring their best to the job.
- the learning/teaching process is a mutually reciprocal relationship between teachers and the learners.
- our students should participate in general college social, cultural and athletic activities to attain the attitudes, skills and understanding necessary to become more responsible citizens.
- education for surgical technology does not end with graduation; it is continued throughout a lifetime. We believe it is our responsibility to offer our students the tools, instill the desire and encourage the self-initiative to keep their skills at the highest level possible throughout their careers.
The goal of the Surgical Technology Program is to prepare competent, entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains with the ability to function as an integral part of the surgical team providing high quality patient care.
Upon completion of the program, the graduate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Display the knowledge, principles and application of peri-operative concepts
- Demonstrate competence in performing tasks as an entry-level surgical technologist and employability skills
- Demonstrate understanding of the expectations as a surgical technologist
Students must adhere to the professional behaviors of caring, accountability, responsibility, and respect for the patient's rights of privacy, confidentiality, dignity, comfort and quality of care.
At the end of your studies in the surgical technology Program at UC Clermont, you will be qualified to seek gainful employment in the following positions:
- Surgical technologist in an operating room at a hospital, surgery center or other healthcare facility
- Salesperson for a company selling surgically-related products or implants
- Surgical technologist for a surgeon or surgeon's group
- Sterile processing department in a healthcare facility
- Educator for surgical technology
Our Surgical Technology program is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). The pass rate for the Certified Surgical Technologist exam administered by the NBSTSA for 2017 was 88 percent. CAAHEP: 25400 US Highway 19N, Suite 158, Clearwater, Fla. 33763; www.caahep.org; (727) 210-2350
All students sit for the certification exam through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) to become a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST).
For more information on certification, visit www.nbstsa.org